After years and years of getting lead generation outsourcing companies cold call me asking “can you put me through to the decision maker” I thought let’s make it even harder for these folks to phone SPAM and tarnish the 1% of sales and marketing people who actually do some research before “GETTING ON THE PHONE” “DIALING FOR DOLLARS” and sales managers who have spent far too much time watching Glengarry Glen Ross.
In today’s environment, it is absolutely critical to approach people in a new way. The days of cold calling “put me through to the decision maker please” calls are well and truly over. ( Good riddance.)
The traditional numbers-focused sales and marketing model has fallen apart. Especially when selling or marketing technology products to savvy, tech folks. They don’t care about our products and services, they care about what those things can do for the businesses they run. The old school strategy of hiring more “feet on the street” doubling sales org to double revenue looking for sales growth or generating volumes/volumes of “leads” is proving wildly inefficient.
Here is my advice to Technology buyers and ensure sales/marketing people do some work upfront :
Top 10 ways to cold call proof your business from phone spammers and sales/marketing people not doing any research before picking up the phone :
1. Do not have e mail addresses online. Have a central management@X.com or something similar.
2. Most salespeople can guess your e mail by checking it online, Google search etc. They will guess certain firstname.lastname@example.org etc add a twist to your company e mail. For example add a number, sign or something that cannot easily be guessed.
3. Have a central voice mail system and have ALL sales solicitations going to that. One member of stuff can review on a daily, weekly basis and reward relevant messages with a response.
4. Have a new vendors please contact us at vendors@…….com ( review daily, weekly)
5. Have a paragraph on your website dedicated to new vendors. List projects, help required and have a single entry point for inquiries.
6. Do not have direct telephone numbers on your website.( Investor relations, PR etc – salespeople use these to get in)
7. Give clear guidance to the receptionist. ( sales and marketing people refer to these people disrepectuflly as gate keepers. ) Train them to reward folks that have done some upfront work.
8. Have a companywide policy to direct all inquiries to a certain person and/or e mail address
9. Keep an eye on your internal phone directories. ( have clear guidance for salespeople/marketers to follow as opposed to cold calling all over the place and wasting your employees time. ( Salepeople punch in random names and try to get internal referrals. This is also very attractive to mis – guided inside sales team to artificially inflate “dials”. Because dials = sales right????? ( not)
10. And lastly, if they get through all that and still contact you. Give them at least a quick response. Yes, no. not on the agenda for 6 months etc. They have earned it.
Here are 4 easy tips to help you get above the clutter and noise in less time than it takes to make a cup of coffee…
Welcome to the TOP 1% of sales people in the USA. Even though you do not have much competition, don’t let your standards slip.